outdoor rocking chair Finishing schedule
This chair was finished with seven coats of Epifanes High Gloss Clear Varnish
This is a traditional marine varnish based on tung-oil, alkyd resins,
and a high quality UV inhibiter. I chose this product because of
the excellent review it received in Fine Woodworking Magazine #205
"Torture Test for Outdoor Finishes."
- The entire chair was sanded to 180 grit and carefully vaccumed to remove any dust.
- The first coat of Epifanes was thinned 50% with mineral
spirits. The idea is to have the first coat penetrate the wood
deeply so thinning is considered absolutely essential.
- After 24 hours, I lightly sanded the chair with 320 grit wet/dry
sandpaper. The second coat was thinned with about 15% mineral
- After 24 hours, I lightly sanded the chair with 320 grit sandpaper and applied a third coat thinned about 5%.
- After 24 hours, I lightly sanded the chair with 320 grit sandpaper and applied the fourth coat full strength.
- The fifth, sixth, and seventh coats were applied full strength and sanded lightly between coats.